Longhorns overtake A&M in College Station

2015-10-17_Friday_Swimming_Jack
Jack DuFon

The No. 6 Longhorns (5-0) notched another win in their undefeated season, overtaking No. 14 A&M, 166-134 this weekend.

Head coach Carol Capitani recorded her first win against the Aggies and the program’s first since 2011.

“It was a total team effort,” Capitani said. “I probably take the most pleasure in watching our growth from year to year and seeing this team stand up and take on big meets. …It gives them confidence.”

Junior Madisyn Cox once again gave a standout performance. She nabbed the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:46.42 and then won the 200 breaststroke in 2:11.21. Both finishes rank among the top four in the nation this season.

Cox’s 1:58.22 finish in her final event, the 200 IM, is the No. 2 time in the nation.

A&M sophomore Bethany Galat almost stole it from Cox, trailing by a mere 0.4 seconds in the last 50 yards. Cox took a clean lead, out-swimming Galat and taking the win by more than a second.

“I applaud [Madisyn],” Capitani said. “[She] has been unbelievably consistent and just unflappable ever since last year.”

Freshman Joanna Evans recorded a 9:47.61 finish in the 1,000-freestyle, and All-American junior Tasija Karosas swam a 53.74 in the 100 backstroke.

“I take my hat off to a lot of people who swam different events, like Joanna [Evans] taking on a 200 fly,” Capitani said. “We had people swimming in their first meet of the year who were coming back from injuries.

Our divers were huge and gave us big points tonight. Everybody had something to hang their hat on.”Texas travels to face No. 9 North Carolina on Friday and No 13. North Carolina State on Saturday.