Longhorns look ahead to road challenge

Play-caller Jay Norvell, redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard and junior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes met for Texas’ weekly press
conference Tuesday.

Here are three takeaways from Tuesday’s press conference:

Longhorns recognize road challenges

Norvell and the quarterbacks emphasized the challenges facing Texas when they travel to West Virginia.

“We got to build on [last week’s win],” Norvell said. “Confidence is a fickle thing, and we need to build on that this week. It’s going to be a huge challenge going to Morgantown and playing an 11 a.m. kickoff.”

Heard said he’s looking forward to playing a road game after Texas’ struggles away from Austin this season.

“I can’t wait to get back on the road,” Heard said. “I heard it’s a wild place to play at. I want to find out myself. I can’t wait to get out there.”

Swoopes also acknowleged the difficulty of playing away from home.

“It’s really tough,” Swoopes said. “Everybody knows, going to someone’s house, they’re going to play really hard. … I don’t think we really fully understood that yet. But I think this week we’ll get it fully together.”

Heard’s performance key against Mountaineers

Heard said that the outcome of Saturday’s matchup will depend on how he plays.

“When you get the ball first in your hands, you have a lot of responsibility to put points up,” Heard said. “I feel like when I get the ball in my hands I have a responsibility to get the ball to my athletes on the outside edge.”

Norvell said Texas will have to help boost the young quarterback’s confidence on the road.

“[Heard] gains confidence by getting physically involved in the game,” Norvell said. 

Norvell thrilled for 11 a.m. kickoff

Norvell said he likes the early kickoff Saturday because it means less time on the road.

“I love Morgantown, but I really don’t want spend a whole day there,” Norvell said.