Women’s basketball signs top-5 recruiting class

The Longhorns made national noise by signing a top-5 recruiting class for 2016-2017 on Wednesday.

ESPN.com rates the Longhorn’s class No. 3 overall behind Maryland and Baylor. The Bears landed forward Lauren Cox of Flower Mound, Texas, the No. 1 overall recruit in the country.

Head coach Karen Aston welcomes a second straight top-6 recruiting class to campus.

“All of these young ladies are great student-athletes who will represent Texas to the best of their abilities,” Aston said. “I am incredibly proud of my staff in the recruitment of this group.”

Forward Joyner Holmes out of Cedar Hill, Texas, highlights the class headed to Austin next year. Holmes ranked No. 2 in ESPN top-100.

Holmes averaged 15.9 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game in her junior year at Cedar Hill. She also ran the 100-meter dash on the school’s track team.

Aston said she is excited to watch Holmes play for the Longhorns.

“She is one of the most versatile players I have ever seen in all my years of recruiting,” Aston said. “What is so fascinating to watch is her ability to affect a game in so many ways.”

Point guard Alecia Sutton from St. Louis joins Holmes as Texas’ other top-10 recruit. 

Sutton stars as a member of the Missouri Phenom club team, and she won MVP honors at the Super 64 Tournament in Frisco, Texas.

Missouri Phenom club director Reggie Middlebrook said that he is excited to watch Sutton compete at the next level.

“This is a very special day for Alecia Sutton and everyone here in Missouri who has followed her over the years,” Middlebrook said. “Texas is a special place, and we are looking forward to watching her in the next four years and beyond.”

Texas also adds 3-star recruit Jada Underwood from Mesquite, Texas. Aston said Underwood exhibits versatility similar to that of Holmes.

Gulf Coast Community College forward Audrey-Ann Caron-Goudreau, sister of current Texas forward Khaléann Caron-Goudreau, rounds out the Longhorns’ 2016-2017 recruiting class.

The Longhorns open the season against UTSA on Saturday at home. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.