Addison advances to round of 16, Longhorns prepare for ASU Thunderbird Invitational

Thursday marked the start of the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships (NIIC) for 32 of the top individual singles players in the country. For unseeded senior Breaunna Addison, Thursday was just that: the beginning. With a convincing straight-set victory over Michigan’s Briene Minor by a 6–4, 6–2 count, the two-time All-American will advance to the round of 16 in New York.

“It was nice to get the first-round win in the books,” Addison said. “The goal for tomorrow is to keep playing tough tennis.”

In her second match Friday, Addison will face off with Virginia’s sixth-seeded Julia Elbaba, who is currently the nation’s third-ranked player.

“It’s nice to see all of Bree’s hard work paying off,” assistant coach Courtney Dolehide said. “She’s hitting the ball well and fighting for every point. Tomorrow’s a new day, and I’m looking forward to seeing her get after it again.”

While Addison continues competition at the NIIC, the rest of the Longhorns will head to Tempe to compete in the ASU Thunderbird Invitational from Friday to Sunday. The annual competition will feature singles and doubles competition.

The NIIC is the last championship event for the 2015 fall season and is hosted by Columbia at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, the site of the U.S. Open.