Live Blog: Final: Texas 20 – West Virginia 38

KEYS_2015-09-19_Football_V_Cal_Graeme
Graeme Hamilton

Update (2:45 p.m.): Texas remains winless on the road after a 38-20 loss to West Virginia.

The Longhorns were unable to take advantage of quick start as they went into the half trailing 21-10.

Texas committed five turnovers against the Mountaineers, which killed its momentum. Sophomore running back D’Onta Foreman fumbled in the first quarter and the Mountaineers scooped the ball and returned it for a touchdown. Junior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes fumbled in the second quarter, which led to a 53-yard touchdown on the Mountaineers following possession.

Freshman cornerback Kris Boyd fumbled on a kickoff return giving West Virginia a short field. The Longhorns’ fate was sealed with two fourth quarter interceptions from redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard.

Texas (4-6) now has to win its final two games to make a bowl.

Update (12:40 p.m.): West Virginia quarterback Skyler Howard connected with Jovon Durante for a 53-yard touchdown to take a 21-10 lead entering halftime.

The Longhorns struck first with a 32-yard field goal from senior kicker Nick Rose. Texas had momentum but it swung in the Mountaineers favor when sophomore running back D’Onta Foreman fumbled the ball, which was returned for a touchdown.

But Foreman bounced back with a 65-yard touchdown run to give the Longhorns a 10-7 lead.

West Virginia began to get on an offensive rhythm as it rushed down the field and scored on a one-yard touchdown run from Elijah Smallwood, making the score 14-10.

The Longhorns were deep in Mountaineer territory but they squandered a scoring opportunity when junior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes fumbled and West Virginia recovered.

(Update 11:00 a.m.): Texas takes on West Virginia in search of its first road win of the season.

The Longhorns have struggled on the road having been outscored 112-10 against road opponents.

Texas has to win two of its last three games to make a bowl. The Longhorns have to get off to a fast start as they’re undefeated when they score first under head coach Charlie Strong.

When:  11 a.m.

• Where: Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown, West Virginia
  • Records:  Texas (4-5, 3-3 Big 12); West Virginia (4-4, 1-4)
  • Last meeting: Texas 33, West Virginia 16, on Nov. 8, 2014
  • TV: ESPNU