Addison falls in New York, while Longhorns find mixed success in ASU Thunderbird Invitational

After advancing to the round of 16 in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships, Breaunna Addison was eliminated Friday with a 6-4, 7-6(5) loss to Virginia’s sixth-seeded Julia Elbaba.

The tournament, which was held at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, was the last national championship event for the fall season. 

While Addison traveled to New York, the rest of the Longhorns made their way to Tempe, Arizona for the ASU Thunderbird Invitational. 

Junior Longhorn Neda Koprcina earned her way to the quarterfinals with two victories this weekend before losing 6-0, 6-2 to ASU’s top-seeded Desirae Krawczyk on Saturday. Koprcina was scheduled for consolation play on Sunday before the match was canceled for rain.  

Texas finished 5-5 Friday including Koprcina’s two wins; singles losses by Dani Wagland, Chelsea Crovetti and Lana Groenvynck; consolation victories by Wagland and Groenvynck; a doubles victory by Crovetti/Groenvynck; and a doubles loss by Koprcina/Wagland.

“While the results aren’t really eye-popping material, it is very good to see the improvements with each player and with this group collectively,” Texas first-year head coach Howard Joffe said. “My hope is to finish up with even more momentum this weekend.” 

The team finished Saturday 2-4 including Koprcina’s quarterfinals loss; two victories for Groenvynck; a singles loss for Crovetti and doubles losses for Koprcina/Crovetti and Groenvynck/Wagland. 

Sunday competition in Tempe, Arizona was rained out. This tournament was the last action for the team until the Miami Invitational on January 15.