Foul troubles plagues Texas in 84-73 loss to A&M

2015-11-21_Basketball_vs_TAMUCC_Josh

The sound of whistles echoed throughout Imperial Arena on Wednesday night as Texas and No. 25 Texas A&M battled.

Texas dealt with foul trouble and played from behind the entire night, trying to cobble together runs to keep up with their old rival.

The Aggies answered every time, eventually downing Texas 84-73 to advance in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in Paradise Island, Bahamas.

Foul trouble plagued Texas from the opening tip as the Longhorns finished with 31 fouls for the game, paving the way for A&M to go 28-of-37 from the free throw line. The Aggies finished with 25 fouls, and Texas got to the line 37 times as well but missed 15.

Senior center Cameron Ridley scored the first bucket of the game, but the Longhorns never led again. Texas committed six fouls within the first four minutes, putting the Aggies in the bonus early.

But freshman guard Eric Davis Jr. kept the Longhorns in it. Davis came into Wednesday 4-of-17 from the field but knocked down four threes in the first half and finished the game with 19 points. Still, the Aggies went into halftime up 49-41.

The second half started exactly like the first for Texas as the Longhorns committed seven team fouls less than four minutes in, putting the Aggies in an early bonus again.

A&M went up 64-53 with 13:59 left to play, but Texas answered with a 9-0 run to cut the lead to 64-62. The Aggies pulled away, but the Longhorns managed to make it a single possession game again at 71-68.

But A&M ended the game on a 13-5 run to seal its victory.

The Longhorns get another crack at Washington Thursday at 6 p.m. in the consolation bracket. The Huskies beat the Longhorns 77-71 on Nov. 13 in Shanghai.