Big 12 Notebook: Week 14

BIG12NOTEBOOK_2015-10-10_Texas_vs_OU_Stephanie
Stephanie Tacy

Matt Campbell named Iowa State head coach

Just days after the final whistle blew on the Iowa State season, the Cyclones found their next head coach. The school announced Sunday its hiring of Toledo head coach Matt Campbell to take over the reigns of the program. Campbell never posted a losing season in his four years at the helm for the Rockets. He led Toledo to three nine-win seasons and a win in the GoDaddy bowl last year. Campbell replaces Paul Rhoads, who was fired on Nov. 22 after posting a 32-55 record in seven seasons.

Texas Tech fires defensive coaches

Three Texas Tech defensive coaches will not return to the team next year, the school announced Tuesday. Mike Smith, Kevin Curtis and Trey Haverty — all former Red Raider players — were each released after the Texas Tech defense once again struggled this season. The Red Raiders finished last in the conference in rush defense, second-to-last in scoring defense and eighth in pass defense. Smith, the co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach, played at Texas Tech from 2001 to 2003 as a linebacker. Curtis returned to Lubbock as the defensive backs coach after playing as a defensive back from 1998 to 2001. Haverty was the outside linebackers coach and played for the Red Raiders from 2001 to 2003. It’s unclear if the Red Raiders will fill the vacancies before their bowl game.

Weekly Awards

Following his heroics late in the win against Baylor, TCU freshman linebacker Ty Summers took home the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award, the conference announced Monday. Summers tallied a career-high 23 tackles, including a stop on fourth-and-1 in double overtime to cap the win for the Horned Frogs. He also had 1.5 tackles for loss and was a part of a TCU defense that held Baylor to a season-low in points. 

Despite the loss to Texas Tech, Texas freshman running back Chris Warren grabbed the Offensive Player of the Week award after rushing for a school freshman record 276 yards and four touchdowns. 

Kansas State senior returner Morgan Burns rounded out the awards with the Special Teams Player of the Week. Burns forced a fumble on a Kansas punt and recovered a blocked punt in the end zone in the Wildcats’ 45-14 win.

Rankings Update

Following its blowout win at Oklahoma State, Oklahoma jumped into prime position to give the Big 12 its first berth in the College Football Playoff. The Sooners moved from fifth to third in the latest Associated Press rankings. The Sooners have a bye this week. The rest of the Big 12, however, wasn’t so lucky. Oklahoma State dropped to No. 14 after the rough defeat. Baylor fell to No. 12 after losing in double overtime at TCU. The Horned Frogs only moved up to No. 11.