Texas hires Sterlin Gilbert as offensive coordinator, other staff changes made

Sterlin_Gilbert
Courtesy of Texas Sports

Texas officially hired former Tulsa co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Sterlin Gilbert as offensive coordinator on Saturday.

“I feel extremely blessed by this opportunity,” Gilbert said. “I’ve been looking forward to an opportunity like this for a long time, and we’re finally here. I’m excited to be on campus, and to get around our kids and our coaching staff. Coach Strong has been great through this process, and I just can’t wait to meet and see our kids.”

The Golden Hurricanes ranked No. 14 in total offense, No. 25 in scoring offense and No. 11 in passing offense under Gilbert. His contract will be for three years and $850,000, pending approval from the University of Texas Board of Regents.

The Longhorns added Tulsa’s other co-offensive coordinator, Matt Mattox, in addition with Gilbert. Mattox has been named offensive line coach/running game coordinator and will receive a three-year contract worth $550,000 per year. His contract is also pending UT Board of Regents approval.

“We just made two great hires for our staff,” Texas head coach Charlie Strong said. “They’re outstanding coaches who will do a great job of not only developing our players, but also representing this university and doing things the right way.

“We did a lot of research on both of them and we know they will be the right fit for our staff. I really feel we have two quality coaches who work well together, and they’ll do an outstanding job.”

Texas also announced that assistant head coach for offense/quarterback coach Shawn Watson and offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Joe Wickline will not return.