Women’s basketball looks to get back on track against TCU

2016_01-17_Womens_Basketball_vs_Baylor_Joshua

Texas finds itself in an unusual position heading into its game at TCU Wednesday night — trying to rebound after a loss.

The No. 6 Longhorns travel to Fort Worth after dropping their first game of the season — an 67-80 drubbing at the hands of Baylor on Sunday. 

But senior center Imani Boyette said that she isn’t going to dwell over the loss to Baylor, even though she’s winless in her career against the Bears. 

“Anytime you lose to your rival, it stings,” Boyette said. “But at the end of the day, it’s just another game.” 

The Longhorns (16–1, 5–1 Big 12) enter Wednesday’s game tied with the Bears for the best record in conference play. Head coach Karen Aston said she learned a lot about her team after Sunday’s loss. 

“I thought that we had a terrific film session [Monday],” Aston said. “It was an opportunity to look back and look at where we were exposed. There were plenty of places.” 

Aston said the turnovers affected the game against Baylor after both starting point guards — senior Celina Rodrigo and sophomore Brooke McCarty — exited the game with foul trouble. 

Aston said she fears that if her team continues to turn the ball over it could result in a second consecutive loss because of TCU’s quick pace of play. 

“[TCU] plays a really fast tempo,” Aston said. “When we lost up there last year, it was strictly related to turnovers and getting [TCU] out in transition. We have to value the possessions much better than we have.” 

The Horned Frogs (11–6, 3–3 Big 12) come into the tilt against Texas having lost three of their last four contests, but they hold a 9–2 record at home. 

Texas, however, has yet to lose a game on the road this season. Aston said the team has the experience required to stay focused while away from Austin. 

“It takes some maturity to go on the road and not let sitting in a hotel get to you,” Aston said. “At times we’ve had nobody in the stands at all and still played pretty well.”

But the Longhorns are headed to a place where they’ve struggled in recent history. Texas has dropped two of its last three Big 12 games at TCU, including a 64-59 loss last season. The Longhorns allowed three Horned Frogs players to score in double digits and then-senior Chelsea Prince nearly tallied a triple-double.

Despite the loss to Baylor and the past struggles in Fort Worth, Aston said the team needs to keep up the momentum they’ve built through their previously undefeated run. 

“The community is very excited about our team right now,” Aston said. “We need to get back on track.”