Free Austin events to attend this week

freeweekaustin0831_illo_MelanieWestfall
Melanie Westfall

Editor’s Note: In this recurring column, staff writer Katie Walsh recommends free events in Austin for the week.

Monday, Jan. 25
Fuck This Week Comedy Night
Where: The New Movement, 616 Lavaca St.
Time: 8 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Fuck This Week Comedy Night is the perfect remedy for a bad day. On Monday night, the improv team at the New Movement will ask an audience member why their Monday sucked and improvise a show around that plot. The event is BYOB, but drink specials will be available after the show at Austin Ale House.

For more information, click here

Tuesday, Jan. 26
Cards Against Highball
Where: The Highball, 1120 S. Lamar Blvd.
Time: 8 p.m.

Take your Cards Against Humanity skills outside of your apartment and compete against other Austinites at the Highball bar Tuesday night. At every table, the winners of the popular raunchy card game will receive passes to Alamo Drafthouse, conveniently located next door. Attendees also have the chance to win a grand prize by retweeting a photo of their “best” and “worst” card combinations from the night.

For more information, click here

Wednesday, Jan. 27
Fame and Fashion: A David Bowie Tribute
Where: Volstead Lounge at Hotel Vegas, 1500 E. 6th St.
Time: 10 p.m. – 2 a.m.

On the fourth Wednesday of every month, the Volstead Lounge hosts Neon Nites, a “synthpop, dreamwave, italo disco underground dance party.” This week, Neon Nites will pay tribute to David Bowie by playing his catalog as well as inspirations, covers, affiliates and peers. Grab a beer for $2 or a David Bowie-themed cocktail for $5. 

For more information, click here

Thursday, Jan.  28
The Soap Boxers with North by North, Iris Noir
Where: Lucky Lounge, 209A W. 5th St.
Time: 9 p.m.

Lucky Lounge presents a night of live music Thursday starting with a set from Austin-based electronic rock band, Iris Noir, at 9 p.m. Chicago-based rock group North by North will follow with a set at 10 p.m. and local alternative rock band, The Soap Boxers, will close out the 21+ show at 11 p.m.

For more information, click here.

Friday, Jan. 29
CAPYAC’s Crazy F-ing Costume Dance Party No. 4 featuring Shelltoe Soul
Where: Vulcan Gas Company, 418 E. 6th St.
Time: 9 p.m. doors

Put on your most ridiculous costume and head to Vulcan Gas Company on Friday night for local electronic band CAPYAC’s fourth costume dance party. CAPYAC will perform in between DJ sets from Austin-based house artist, Shelltoe Soul, who will open and close the show.

For more information, click here.

Saturday, Jan. 30
Video Dance Party: The ’80s
Time: 10:30 p.m.

The Highball will host an interactive ’80s-themed dance party Saturday night. Attendees should arrive clad in ’80s attire, ready to dance to Michael Jackson and Madonna music videos all night long.

For more information, click here

Sunday, Jan. 31
Backyard Story Night
Where: Historic Scoot Inn, 1308 E. 4th St.
Time: 7 p.m.

Almost three years ago, two Austinites began hosting public storytelling nights in their backyard. Each month, the monthly event grew until they had to move the event out of their backyard and into larger venues. Join them Sunday night at the Historic Scoot Inn to listen to a series of five-minute stories from everyday folks in the audience. This week’s theme is “Take Me For A Ride.” If you are interested in telling a story, visit the event’s Facebook page below for directions on how to get your name on the list. 

Donations for local charity Austin Sunshine Camps will be accepted at the door, and food and drink will be available for purchase from the Hot Mess food truck on site. 

For more information, click here