Women’s track and field leads “Power Five” team to win in Alabama

The head-to-head battle in the 60 meters continued this week between senior Morolake Akinosun and freshman Teahna Daniels in the Conference Clash Power Five Invitational in Alabama this weekend.

Akinosun won the event, edging out Daniels by just three-tenths of a second, as the Longhorns led the “Power Five” team to a win over the SEC team. Texas finished with 24 points — the most out of the 15 teams competing.

The women’s 4×400 relay team of sophomore Ariel Jones, junior Chrisann Gordon, Akinosun and senior Courtney Okolo closed the meet with a strong performance with a time of 3:34.36, setting a new CrossPlex facility record. Jones also finished second in the 60 meter hurdles, setting a new personal record of 8.28 seconds, making her ninth in school history.
The Longhorns also had several solid showings against professional and collegiate competitors in the Cherry and Silver Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Senior Kaitlin Petrillose finished fourth overall and second among collegiate athletes with a vault of 4.30 meters. Redshirt freshman Ali Uhle finished close behind, vaulting her second personal record of the season at 4.15 meters. Redshirt freshman Lauryn Caldwell posted a personal record in the weight throw, and redshirt freshman N’Dia Warren-Jacques finished second in the shot put with a mark of 14.98 meters.