Big 12 Notebook — No. 14 Iowa State upsets No. 4 Kansas

2016_01-12_Texas_Vs_Iowa_State_Rachel
Rachel Zein

Hilton Magic claimed yet another victim Monday night.

No. 14 Iowa State reprised its role as spoiler, beating No. 4 Kansas 85-72.

The Jayhawks led for a little over three-fourths of the game, but an 18-6 run turned the tide in favor of the Cyclones.

Junior guard Monte Morris led Iowa State with 21 points, nine assists and four rebounds, while senior forward Georges Niang added 21 points and six rebounds. Kansas senior forward Perry Ellis posted 23 points and five rebounds in the losing effort.

Oklahoma takes down Baylor in Waco
The No. 1 Sooners showed no signs of a hangover in their first game after their loss to Iowa State last week.

Oklahoma took No. 13 Baylor to task in the second half of their game on Saturday, using a 33-12 run to finish with a 82-72 win. Junior guard Jordan Woodard led the Sooners with 20 points while senior guard Buddy Hield finished with 19 points, eight rebounds and two steals.

Baylor forwards Taurean Prince and Jonathan Motley each posted 15 points for the Bears in the losing effort.

The Sooners return home to play Texas Tech on Tuesday night before traveling to LSU on Saturday.

Morris, Evans take Big 12 weekly awards
Senior forward Georges Niang might have led Iowa State in points, but junior guard Monte Morris’s 20-point effort in the win over Oklahoma on Jan. 18 earned him the Big 12 Player of the Week award announced Monday.

Morris also posted 11 points and six assists in the Cyclones win over TCU on Saturday. 

Oklahoma State freshman guard Jawan Evans rounded out the weekly awards with the Newcomer of the Week title. Evans tallied 22 assists, eight rebounds and six assists in the Cowboys’ 86-67 blowout win over Kansas on Jan. 19.

Oklahoma remains No. 1 despite loss
Despite the loss at Iowa State last Tuesday, the Sooners held onto their No. 1 ranking in the AP poll on Monday.

Kansas fell one spot to No. 4 after losing at Oklahoma State last week. The Jayhawks rebounded with a 76-67 win over Texas. West Virginia lost three spots to No. 9 following its loss to Texas, and Baylor dropped to No. 17.

Iowa State was the only team to improve its position, jumping up to No. 14 after beating Oklahoma.