Texas men’s golf earns its first win of the season at the Arizona Intercollegiate

2015-02-20_Golf_Practice_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

The Texas men’s golf team got into the win column for the first time this season with a five-shot victory at the Arizona Intercollegiate on Saturday.

In their first tournament of the spring season, the No. 10 Longhorns were able to rally from eight shots back of No. 23 Washington in the final round. Texas turned in a 7-under par performance in the final round to finish 9-under, while Washington faltered with a 6-over par day to finish 4-under.

Junior Beau Hossler grabbed his second win of the season, the third of his career, finishing at 11-under par and two shots ahead of Washington’s Frank Garber. Hossler fired rounds of 65, 70 and 67, increasing his rounds under par streak to nine.

“For our first event of the spring, we are happy to get a win,” head coach John Fields said. “Beau Hossler’s victory was outstanding on a fine golf course.”

All five Longhorns were able to finish in the top 25. Sophomore Doug Ghim finished 1-under par and in seventh after rounds of 72, 70 and 70. Junior Gavin Hall finished in a tie for ninth at 2-over par, posting rounds of 74, 72 and 69.

Sophomore Scottie Scheffler tied for 17th at 5-over par, and sophomore Taylor Funk tied for 23rd at 8-over par.

In the Arizona Medalist, an individual competition held at a separate course for players not competing as part of their team, sophomore Branson Davis picked up his first career victory with a 2-under par finish, posting rounds of 72, 68 and 71. Junior Kalena Preus finished in third at 4-over par.

The Longhorns look to keep the momentum going as they head to Kauai, Hawaii, Feb. 17-19, for the John Burns Intercollegiate at the Wailua Golf Club.