Live Blog: National Signing Day 2016

StrongFeature_2014-09-15_Football_vs_UCLA_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Update (Feb. 3, 1:11 p.m.): Texas reels in DT Jordan Elliott to finish National Signing Day

• Texas finished its incredible National Signing Day run with a commitment from four-star defensive tackle Jordan Elliott from Westside High School in Houston. Elliott is the sixth defensive lineman to sign with Texas.

Elliott committed to and decommitted from three different colleges before deciding to officially commit to Texas. He was previously committed to Baylor, Houston and Michigan.

Elliott described his game as aggressive. He finished the 2014 season with 78 tackles, 12 sacks, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

The 6’4”, 300-pound defensive tackle could potentially be a day one starter for Texas as a true freshman, and has the talent to make an impact right away — especially since former Texas defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway declared for this year’s NFL Draft.

According to 247Sports Composite, Elliott is rated as the 115th best player in the nation and the 18th best prospect in the state.

• — Mark Skol

Update (Feb 3, 10:45 a.m.): Texas lands star linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch

• Outside linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch has committed to the Longhorns. Texas has now picked up 23 total recruits for the 2016 class and six on National Signing Day alone.

‘The Shark,’ as teammates and fellow students call him, comes from Aldine Davis High School in Houston Texas and made his decision on ESPNU at 10:30 a.m. He chose Texas out of 41 total offers including Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Stanford and Michigan.

“I believe that Coach Strong is a championship winner, and I’ve seen him win two championships as a defensive coordinator,” McCulloch told the media. “I’m going to Texas for a reason and that’s to bring it back to where it should be.”

According to 247Sports, McCulloch is ranked as the No. 4 OLB in the 2016 class and the 11th best overall player out of the state of Texas. In the 2014 season, he recorded 50 tackles and 19 sacks.

With this addition, Texas moves to No. 10 in the 247Sports Composite rankings and remain No. 1 in the Big 12.

• — Samuel Williams

Update (Feb. 3, 9:42 AM): Texas adds safety Chris Brown to recruiting class

• Three-star safety Chris Brown from Alief Elsik High School announced his decision to play football at Texas on Wednesday morning. Brown is now the 22nd commit of the Longhorns’ 2016 recruiting class.

Brown’s decision came down to Florida, Michigan and Texas.

Chris Brown took an unofficial visit to Texas last weekend, along with high school teammate and Texas target linebacker Dontavious Jackson.

According to 247Sports' Composite rankings, Brown is rated as the nation’s 431st overall prospect and the 68th best player in the state of Texas.  While Brown is listed as a safety, he is versatile and capable of playing at any position in the secondary.

In Brown’s junior season, the defensive back tallied 43 tackles, five interceptions and two forced fumbles.

• — Mark Skol

Update (Feb. 3, 9:10 AM): Former LSU DE commit Erick Fowler flips to Texas

• Four-star defensive end Erick Fowler flipped his commitment from LSU to Texas on Wednesday morning, giving Texas 21 commits for the 2016 recruiting class.

Texas had an in-home visit with Fowler last weekend.

Fowler is the 75th best prospect in the nation and the 12th best player in the state of Texas, according to 247Sports.

Fowler finished his football career at Manor High School with 148 total tackles, 33.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and two interceptions. In his junior year alone, Fowler recorded 21 sacks. He finished with double-digit sacks in every high school season.

Texas jumped up to No. 11 in the 247Sports’ Composite rankings with the commitment. The Longhorns are now the highest-rated Big 12 team in recruitment rankings.

• Mark Skol

Update (Feb. 3, 8:45 AM): No. 1 safety Brandon Jones chooses Texas

• Texas picked up its 20th commitment for the 2016 recruiting class when four-star safety Brandon Jones announced his commitment this morning.

Jones, who hails from Nacogdoches High School in Texas, made his decision live on ESPNU.

“It’s a family thing down there [at Texas] and that really stood out to my family,” Jones said of Texas on ESPNU. “That coaching staff has been straightforward and honest about everything. They’re not just worried about football, they want to make me a better man.”

Texas head coach Charlie Strong visited Jones on January 28. After making a trip to Baylor the following day, Jones narrowed his top three schools to Baylor, Texas A&M, and Texas.

Jones is the No. 1 safety in the nation per 247Sports’ rankings.

Jones broke out with 95 tackles, eight pass breakups and five interceptions in his sophomore year.

• — Samuel Williams
  •  
  • Update (Feb. 3, 8:05 a.m.): Four-star defensive tackle Chris Daniels picks Texas over Oklahoma
  • Four-star defensive tackle Chris Daniels became the fifth defensive lineman in the Longhorns’ 2016 class after committing to Texas Wednesday morning.

Daniels, from Trinity High School in Euless, released his top two schools last night — Texas and Oklahoma. Daniels originally committed to Oklahoma but decommited on Jan. 20, a few days after his official visit to Texas on Jan. 15.

Daniels is ranked as the 183rd best prospect and the 20th best defensive tackle in the country, according to 247Sports’ Composite.

Daniels finished his senior season with 61 tackles and nine tackles for a loss. He has 106 total tackles and seven sacks in his high school varsity career.

The Longhorns have moved up to No. 22 in the 247Sports’ Composite rankings after the Daniels and Southall commitments.

• — Mark Skol

Update (Feb. 3, 7:50 a.m.): Marcel Southall is first Texas commit on National Signing Day

• Three-star defensive tackle Marcel Southall started National Signing Day by announcing his commitment to Texas, the first of likely many dominoes to fall for the Longhorns today.

Southall, from Duncanville High School, picked Texas over the likes of Miami, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, and TCU among 18 others schools.

He is the 18th commitment in Texas’ 2016 recruiting class and one of many defensive tackles expected to sign with the Longhorns.

According to 247Sports, Southall is rated as the nation’s 489th best player and the 42nd best defensive tackle.

• — Mark Skol

Update (Feb. 2, 10:50 p.m.): Four-star DT target D’Andre Christmas-Giles picks Texas

• The Longhorns added their 17th commitment of the 2016 recruiting class after four-star defensive tackle D’Andre Christmas-Giles announced his commitment Tuesday night.

Christmas-Giles, from St. Augustine High School in Louisiana, was originally set to make his commitment at noon on National Signing Day but after tweeting he had a “change of plans,” the recruit announced he would make his official decision at 10 p.m. on WWL in Louisiana, and decided to play for Texas.

“Texas has a great football staff,” Christmas-Giles said on WWL. “[Texas has] great facilities, great school, great city in particular so it’s just an amazing place.”

Christmas-Giles was deciding between LSU, TCU and Texas. He originally committed to Tennessee over the summer, but decommitted in December after receiving an offer from LSU.

According to 247Sports, Christmas-Giles is a consensus four-star recruit ranked as the 34th best defensive tackle and the 334th overall prospect in the nation.

In his 11-game senior season at St. Augustine, Christmas-Giles compiled 49 total tackles and five sacks.

• — Mark Skol

Original story: Today is National Signing Day, where highly touted high school recruits from across the nation commit to some of the best football programs in the country. Texas finished 5-7 last season, but the Longhorns are looking to finish the recruiting cycle with a top-15 signing class. Follow reporters Mark Skol Jr. (@markskoljr) and Sam Williams (@smwilliams27) on their coverage of National Signing Day.