Four things to watch for on National Signing Day

Signing_Day_Sam
Sam Ortega

National Signing Day should provide for an entertaining 24 hours for fans across the country as Texas tries to bolster its roster after a disappointing 5–7 2015 campaign. Here are four things to watch out for today. 

Texas to flip some recruits

• Head coach Charlie Strong has been actively recruiting players that have already committed to other schools to try a taste of life as a Longhorn, and it has provided for some down-to-the-wire action. 

Four-star offensive guard Patrick Hudson is currently a soft commit to Baylor; however, there are some questions about how strong his commit is to the Bears, especially after he tweeted some pictures of Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium, captioned as “just reflecting on some things.”

Four-star defensive tackle Jordan Elliott is another interesting case. Elliott has officially committed and decommitted from four colleges now, the last being Michigan. After taking an official visit to Texas two weekends ago, Elliott could be another possible flip in favor of the Longhorns. 

Latest social media trend

• Throughout the recruiting process every year, UT players and coaches generate a hashtag for use on Twitter to try and sway recruits. 

The phrase “#LetsRide” has been a common slogan in the last two recruiting cycles, but the main hashtag players have been using this year is “#Believe.” It wouldn’t be surprising if the coaches and players came up with another hashtag once players start committing.  

Texas’ rise into the top 10

• According to ESPN’s football class rankings, the Texas recruiting class currently stands inside the top 30 in the country and only has the fourth-best class in the state of Texas. But that doesn’t mean things won’t change.

With only 17 recruits currently committed to the 2016 class, Texas has a lot of room to grow. If Texas is able to land four-star safety Brandon Jones as well as four-star outside linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch, the dominoes will begin to fall in favor of Texas, and the Longhorns will shoot up the rankings quickly. It is very likely that Texas will land several ESPN Top 300 recruits, and that could put them into the top-10, or close to it. 

Player commitment times to watch

• Most of Texas’ targets are committing today on National Signing Day on ESPNU’s Recruiting Day Special. Here are the times the recruits will be making their decisions:

Jones and four-star defensive tackle Mike Williams will be making their decisions at 8 a.m. CT. Four-star linebacker Dontavious Jackson, along with four-star safetys Deontay Anderson and Chris Brown, will be committing sometime during the 9 a.m. hour. McCulloch and Hudson will announce in the 10 a.m. hour. Texas’ target four-star defensive tackles Stephon Taylor and Elliot will make their selections at noon.