Horns Up, Horns Down: February 3

0203_RachelWest_illo136
Rachel West

Horns Up: Students registering students

On Feb. 1, the last day to register for the upcoming elections and primaries, while some of us were rotting our brains through television programming like “The Bachelor,” the better among us stayed up until midnight heroically registering fellow students and Longhorns so they could have their opinion count in the real-world most dramatic rose ceremony ever: Super Tuesday on March 1. While our generation is often lampooned for its penchant for apathy and resistance to emotional authenticity, the student voice should have a say in one of the most controversial presidential elections in living memory. Thank goodness some Longhorns recognized that.

Horns Down: No more winter sweaters

On Groundhog Day, Punxsutawney Phil finally emerged from his hole, only to deny the good folks of Texas any winter. Now, this may not seem like such a bad thing. Who doesn’t want to wear flip-flops in February without looking ridiculous? Well, those of us who spent part of the holiday shopping season getting winter clothes, for starters. Yes, this does mean that the ugly, knit sweater your grandmother gave you (and you begrudgingly took) can live to waste space another season. So welcome, spring, you beautiful disaster.

Horns Up: Bye-Bye, Baylor

Long ago, a university by the name of Baylor was created. Many were unsure of the reason of its existence, seeing as it held no educational value in a place of no value. On Monday, our men’s basketball team gave Baylor the purpose that no one knew existed. Whether it be in football, basketball or literally any academic standing, Baylor serves to lose to Texas. The title of “Texas’ Loser” is something that has constantly been passed around and this week we are proud to say that Baylor has come to take their crown. We salute you Baylor, we salute you.