Men, women swimming and diving teams defeat TCU

Both the Texas men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams had no trouble dispatching TCU Friday afternoon.

The No. 1 men’s team took down the Horned Frogs 156.5-121.5.

Senior Sam Lewis and sophomore Jonathan Roberts finished first and second in mile swim with times of 14:54.53 and 15:01.02, respectively.

After the event, the eight Longhorn seniors swimmers and divers were honored before the 200-yard relay; however, it was the younger swimmers that stole the show in the event. Freshmen Townley Haas and Ryan Harty and sophomores Joseph Schooling and Austin Temple easily triumphed in the relay at 1:29.26.

In both the 1-meter and 3-meter dive events, Texas grabbed a one-two-three finish. Senior Cory Bowersox and redshirt junior Sean O’Brien in first and second respectively and junior Mark Anderson in third.

The divers also competed in a team relay, which brought back high school memories for Bowersox.

“[With the relay] I got to jump in the swimmers’ world for a little bit,” Bowersox said. “I did those a few times in high school. It’s a lot harder than I remember.”

The No. 4 Texas women also dominated both pools to defeat TCU, 167-120.

“This meet the pressure was off a little bit, so people were able to swim a little freer,” head coach Carol Capitani said. “Some people swam their best events, and I like to see that.”

Senior divers Kristina Hoffmann and Meghan Houston and senior swimmer Erin Yeager were honored during a Senior Night presentation before the meet. Hoffman and Houston competed with freshman teammates Meghan O’Brien and Sofia Rauzi in a diver version of the 200 free relay to close out the night in a special way.

“It was exhilarating,” Hoffman said. “For the senior meet, we all just wanted to have a good time and make the most of it, so it was fun.”

The pressure will be turned up for Texas’ next outing in the Big 12 Championships from Feb. 24 to 27, but the Longhorns are excited for the competition.

“Conference is almost always one of my favorite meets,” Hoffman said. “There’s always so much energy and it’s so fun to have so many Texas fans.”