Big 12 Notebook — Jameel McKay suspended indefinitely by Iowa State

2016_01-12_Texas_Vs_Iowa_State_Rachel
Rachel Zein

The Cyclones will be without senior forward Jameel McKay for a second-straight game because of a suspension.

Head coach Steve Prohm suspended McKay indefinitely Thursday, and McKay did not travel with the team to Oklahoma State on Saturday. According to the Des Moines Register, McKay was suspended for something that took place during practice.

McKay is third in the Big 12 with nine rebounds per game and 16th in points scored with 12.4 points per game.

Prohm said he believes McKay will be back for the Cyclones’ game against Texas on Saturday.

College GameDay heads to Oklahoma on Saturday

The Sooners won’t be the No. 1 team in the country when they face No. 6 Kansas on Saturday evening, but that won’t stop ESPN’s College GameDay from showing up at the Lloyd Noble Center that morning.

ESPN announced this past Saturday that its college basketball preview show will broadcast live from Norman to preview the rematch of the triple overtime game the teams played on Jan. 4 in Lawrence where Kansas pulled out a 109-106 win.

It’s the second time in three weeks that a Big 12 team has hosted College GameDay. The show took place in Lawrence on Jan. 30 before Kansas faced Kentucky.

Weekly Awards

West Virginia senior guard Jaysean Paige picked up the Big 12 Player of the Week honor after leading the Mountaineers to two wins over top 15 teams last week. Paige averaged 20 points in wins over Iowa State and Baylor. He drilled a 3-pointer with under two minutes to play to give the Mountaineers the lead for good over the Cyclones and also hit 51.7 percent of his shots against the Bears.

Kansas State freshman forward Dean Wade took the other conference honor, winning the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week award. Wade totaled 17 points in the upset win over then-No. 1 Oklahoma and made 3-of-6 shots from behind the arc. He also added seven rebounds and three assists.

Sooners fall from No. 1 AP spot

The Sooners fell from the top spot in the Associated Press rankings on Monday for the first time since taking that spot. Oklahoma slipped to third after losing 80-69 at Kansas State on Saturday.

Villanova took over the No. 1 position for the first time in school history.

Kansas moved up one spot to sixth, and West Virginia moved up four spots to No. 10. Baylor and Iowa State each dropped spots — the Bears falling to No. 21 and the Cyclones drifting back to No. 14.

Texas made its debut in the poll, checking in at No. 24 for the first time this season.