Five thoughts from the Longhorns’ loss at Oklahoma

Texas led for almost 35 minutes; Oklahoma led for just 49 seconds. But the Sooners led at the right time, grabbing a 63-60 win on Big Monday.

Here are five thoughts from the loss.

Missed opportunity

Texas has picked up a lot of good road wins this season, but they missed out on a huge resume builder Monday night. The Sooners haven’t lost at home this season.

The Longhorns led for almost 35 minutes but couldn’t hold on when it counted. Oklahoma finished the game on a 12-3 run, with all 12 points coming from senior guard Buddy Hield.

The loss also looms large as the Longhorns now travel to Ames, Iowa, to face Iowa State, who beat Oklahoma and Kansas at Hilton Arena earlier this season.

Yancy’s up and down game

Kendal Yancy has started the last 10 games, but the junior guard finally played his breakout game against the Sooners.

Yancy began the game scoring eight of the Longhorns’ first 11 points, including two 3-pointers. He ended the first half with 13 points.

But it wasn’t all good for Yancy. He failed to score in the second half, and Hield knocked down the game-winning 3-pointer with Yancy guarding him.

Hield, Cousins lead Sooners with strong second half

Oklahoma guards Isaiah Cousins and Hield combined for just 14 points in the first half, but it wouldn’t stay that way for long.

Hield broke out in the second half to the tune of 21 points despite going just 2-of-6 on 3-pointers. Cousins added nine points and two 3-pointers as the two finished the game as the only Sooners in double-digits.

Ibeh’s bounce back performance

Prince Ibeh struggled against Texas Tech on Saturday but bounced back with a stronger performance Monday night.

Ibeh nearly finished with a double-double, scoring nine points and grabbing 11 rebounds. That came 48 hours after he failed to score a point and only posted one rebound against the Red Raiders.

Taylor almost gets the win for Texas

Junior guard Isaiah Taylor almost single-handedly pulled out the win for the Longhorns at the end. Taylor scored 12 of the Longhorns’ last 17 points, including two 3-point plays.

But Taylor couldn’t quite get the Longhorns the win. He was called for an offensive foul with 17 seconds left, allowing Oklahoma to get the game-winning shot off.

Up Next: at Iowa State, 7:30 p.m., ESPN