No. 8 Texas sweeps WVU

2016-02-10_Texas_vs_OK_State_Joshua

Head coach Karen Aston didn’t like what she saw on the court amongst the breast cancer awareness-themed pink shoes, headbands, socks and flashes of pink throughout the crowd of 4,143.

Two missed jumpers, a turnover and an uncontested West Virginia transition layup gave No. 8 Texas a 4-0 deficit, forcing Aston to call an early timeout.

“It wasn’t any more than just to remind them that [WVU is] really good in transition and that’s usually the first thing that they look for,” Aston said.

Texas responded out of the timeout with a three from sophomore guard Brooke McCarty and a block from senior center Imani Boyette before eventually running away with a 73-50 win.

After trailing 16-15 at the end of the first quarter, Texas (24–2, 13–2 Big 12) outscored the Mountaineers 27-11 in the second quarter and shot 56.5 percent from the field.

With sophomore guard Ariel Atkins on the bench with two fouls and 10 points, McCarty took over. The League City native had 11 of her game-high 18 points in the second quarter, including a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give Texas a 42-27 halftime lead.

“They told us that the driving lanes would be open, so we just followed the game plan and that helped us out,” McCarty said.

The game wouldn’t get much closer. The Mountaineers (20–8, 9–6 Big 12) climbed to within 12 early in the third, but Texas’ 14-0 run in the third put the game out of reach. Aston said it was an all-around team effort.

“I think that for quite some time we’ve been trying to find our energy and our personality back again and I definitely think we found it today,” Aston said.

Texas shot the ball 48 percent from the field, including 50 percent from beyond the arc, while holding WVU to 35 percent shooting. Even though Texas was offensively sound, WVU head coach Mike Carey said turnovers kept his team out of sync.

“Our flow was never there,” Carey said. “I kept rotating people in and it didn’t really help.”

While WVU coughed up 21 turnovers — resulting in 24 points for Texas — the Longhorns only had nine turnovers. Texas also won the fast break point battle 12-4 and outscored WVU in the paint 48-16. Boyette said the impressive win was fun, mostly because she played well defensively.

“I’ve been really frustrated the past couple of games, because I think my role is being a defensive stopper and people were scoring on me,” Boyette said. “It was hard for me to get going offensively, because I couldn’t get going defensively.”

Boyette’s defense propelled her 12 points, her highest total in the past six games. The center also grabbed eight rebounds and recorded three blocks.

Even though Boyette may have bounced back from her slump, Aston said everyone played a part in today’s win.

“It was overall a complete game for our team,” Aston said.