Engineering professor receives courtesy appointment in Dell Medical School

The Dell Medical School announced earlier this month that UT engineering professor Nicholas Peppas has been selected to serve a courtesy appointment in the school’s Department of Surgery and Perioperative Care.

The department focuses on 11 clinical areas, including anesthesia, cardiovascular surgery, neurosurgery and orthopedics. Peppas will work with biomedical engineers and physicians within the school to solve modern-day medical challenges within these areas.

“The Dell Medical School is enthusiastic about [Peppas’] appointment, which will enable our faculty, residents and students to benefit from Dr. Peppas’ expertise,” said Kevin Bozic, chair of the Department of Surgery and Perioperative Care at the Dell Medical School, in an early February press release.

Currently, Peppas is a professor in the Cockrell School of Engineering, the McKetta Department of Chemical Engineering and the College of Pharmacy. Peppas is also the director of the Institute of Biomaterials, Drug Delivery and Regenerative Medicine.

Peppas has received repeated recognition for his research in nanotechnology, cellular and biomedical engineering, computational biomedical engineering and biotechnology.

Earlier this month, Peppas was also inducted into the National Academy of Inventors. Peppas is also a member of the National Academy of Engineering and the National Academy of Medicine.