Fast start lifts Longhorns to 5-0 win over Weber State

2016-02-05_wild_Mike

The Longhorns won their final game of the Texas Invitational in the first two innings.

Texas scored their only five runs of the game before the first six outs were made, cruising to a 5-0 win over Weber State on Sunday to finish the weekend with a 4–2 record.

Senior centerfielder Lindsey Stephens set the tone right from the start, sending an 0-2 pitch over the right field wall for a leadoff solo home run. Stephens is currently five-of-seven from the leadoff spot.

“Obviously, Lindsey likes that lead off spot and responded really well to it,” head coach Connie Clark said.

After junior left fielder Stephanie Wong drew a walk and stole second, junior designated player Celina Felix drilled an RBI double to right-center field. Felix then made her way to home plate with a sacrifice fly by junior shortstop Devon Tunning.

The offense continued in the next inning. After seniors Erin Shireman and second baseman Stephanie Ceo reached base, Stephens laced a two-run triple to left to put Texas up 5-0.

From there, the pitching staff made sure Weber State never threatened that lead.

Junior pitcher Tiarra Davis threw four innings of two-hit ball with four strikeouts; however, Davis almost let herself slip when she walked two Weber State players in the top of the fourth inning leaving the bases loaded. But she struck out the last two batters keeping Weber State off the board.

“She’s the go-to girl,” Clark said. “It’s not easy. The one thing I really liked about her outing was she had a mentality right from the get-go of throwing less pitches, attacking the strike zone and letting her defense work. Those are the things we want from her.” 

Sophomore pitcher Paige von Sprecken, on the other hand, came in for relief and pitched a perfect last three innings, striking out two players and retiring nine straight batters.

The Longhorns return to action Wednesday when they make the trek down I-35 to face Texas State in San Marcos at 6 p.m.