Why you should swipe left on online dating

0301_NicholasOsella
Nicholas Osella

Online dating. Just because everyone is doing it, doesn’t make it a good idea. Tinder, Bumble, OkCupid, even Bernie Singles — these social platforms have become a phenomenon among millennials and even older generations. As we swipe right to all the potential matches out there, one question remains: have we forgotten how to meet people the old fashioned way?

For many, breaking out of your comfort zone is a nerve-racking thought. As someone who suffers from high levels of social anxiety, I would know. But putting yourself out there and breaking the ice with the hottie at the bar will improve not only your flirting skills, but your ability to connect with others too. Meeting people in person gives you the advantage of knowing that hey, this is the real thing — good, bad or otherwise. There’s no live-editing of hottie at the bar’s hair or arm muscles, so what you see is what you get. This isn’t always the case online.   

We are all guilty of spreading a few white lies every once in awhile. Online daters will often boost their profiles or edit their pictures, creating an exaggerated version of themselves. The Huffington Post reports that 53% of the 40 million singles in the United States have confessed to lying about their age, weight and profession on their profiles. But they shouldn’t — being yourself is good enough.   

The internet is a crowded digital marketplace and intentions can be misread. Body language is an important indicator that is completely absent from online communications. As some may unfortunately know all too well, this can have disappointing results. Look no farther than the shameless hook-up back alley that Tinder has become. You match with someone, get excited and then find out all he wants is a little afternoon delight. But what if you want more than that? During in person interactions, instead of investing your time in messaging a guy before he drops the “hey can i get a pic ;),” you can figure out his intentions through his interactions with you, quickly grab your drink and peace out.

When it comes to dating, there is no one-size fits all formula. I get called old fashioned all the time, but the chemistry between two people is something that can’t be replaced by emojis or words on a screen. The convenience of online dating is great but, when people are searching for someone to connect with and care about, dating shouldn’t be about convenience.

Suazo is an international relations and global studies major from Honduras. Follow her on Twitter @giselle_suazo.