Voters in precincts surrounding campus favor Rubio, Sanders

2016-03-02_Wild_Mary
Mary Pistorius

The majority of the five precincts surrounding campus agreed with Travis County as a whole by voting in favor of Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) in his race for the Republican presidential nomination on Tuesday.

Precinct 208, which includes the Flawn Academic Center inside of the precinct, voted in favor of Rubio 55 percent to 19 for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), Texas’ home state senator.

In the four other local precincts — 124, 152, 206 and 325 — Republican voters supported Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), with only one, precinct 325, going to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

Cruz received 28 percent to Rubio’s 29 in Travis County overall. However, the Texas senator won the state as a whole with 44 percent to frontrunner Donald Trump’s 27 percent.

Democratic voters in all campus precincts overwhelmingly supported Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), while former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton edged out Sanders 53 percent to 47 in precicnt 325.

Despite the outpouring of support for Sanders from campus voters, Clinton won Texas with 65 percent to 34 for Sanders. In Travis County, however, Sanders won 51 percent of the vote to Clinton’s 48.

The race for House District 49, the open State House seat serving all of UT and West Campus, featured a field of seven Democrats running to replace Rep. Elliott Naishtat, who served the district for 25 years.

Even with a 7-candidate race, Gina Hinojosa, Austin ISD school board member, swept the district with 55 percent of the vote, avoiding a runoff and earning her a spot in the legislature next session.

UT law professor Heather Way and Huey Rey Fischer, a 2014 graduate and former legislative aide, came in at second and third place, respectively. Fischer, who campaigned as the “student’s choice” in the race, won two out of the five precincts in and around campus, while the rest went to Hinojosa.