Texas men’s golf begins play at Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters today

After winning its first two events of the spring season, the No. 6 Texas men’s golf team is set to take on its biggest challenge yet.

The Longhorns are in Las Vegas Monday through Wednesday for the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters — dubbed as the host of the No. 1 field in college golf.

Nine ranked teams headline the 15-team tournament, six of which are ranked in the top ten, including No. 1 Illinois, No. 2 Florida, No. 4 Alabama, Texas, No. 8 USC and No. 10 Oklahoma State.

The Southern Highlands Golf Club is the longest course the Longhorns have played all season at 7,380 yards, and was co-designed by legendary golf course architect Robert Trent Jones Sr. and his son, Robert Trent Jones, Jr.

Texas will look to defend its title at the Southern Highlands after running away with the tournament last year, posting 26-under par and winning by ten shots. Alabama’s Robby Shelton, the No. 3 player in the country, is back to defend his individual crown after winning by six shots over junior Beau Hossler last year.

Hossler, the No. 1 player in the country, has been red hot this season, having finished first in Texas’ last two events and having broken par in 11 of his 12 rounds played. Fellow junior Gavin Hall is coming off the first victory of his career, having tied for first with Hossler just over two weeks ago at the John A. Burns Intercollegiate in Hawaii.

The Texas starting lineup consists of, in order, Hossler, Hall, sophomore Doug Ghim, sophomore Scottie Scheffler and redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk.

The tournament kicks off at 10 a.m. Monday.