Longhorn divers qualify for NCAA Championships

2016-02-08_Swimming_Zoe
Zoe Fu

Mark Anderson, Cory Bowersox, Meghan O’Brien and Meghan Houston each earned NCAA Championship berths Monday after strong finishes in day one of the NCAA Zone “D” Diving Meet in College Station. 

Anderson, the Big 12 Men’s Diver of the Year, won the men’s three-meter finals with 833.30 points, propelling him to this third-straight NCAA Championships, while Bowersox took fifth, earning 783.80 points and his fourth trip to the NCAA Championships.

Meanwhile, O’Brien, a freshman, earned her first NCAA Championships berth with 616.50 points and a third place finish in the women’s one-meter finals. 

Houston, who won the one-meter dive in the Big 12 Championships and was named Big 12 Women’s Diver of the Year, guaranteed her second straight NCAA Championships appearance after earning 608.10 points, enough for a sixth-place finish.

A top-five finish in the men’s three-meter and a top-six finish in the women’s one-meter guaranteed divers an automatic invitation to compete in the same event in the NCAA Championships. 

Two Texas divers that missed the cut still have the opportunity to compete at the NCAA Championships if they place high enough inremaining events.

Freshman Sofia Rauzi earned 12th place in the one-meter dive and is eligible to earn a NCAA Championships berth in the one-meter with a top-nine finish in Tuesday’s three-meter dive or Wednesday’s platform dive. 

Junior Sean O’Brien placed 10th in the three-meter finals but can earn a berth to the NCAA Championships in the three-meter with a top-seven finish in the one-meter dive.

The NCAA Zone “D” Dive Meet continues Tuesday with men’s one-meter competition and the women’s three-meter event.