Longhorns fall to UCLA on walk-off home run

2016-03-03_Texas_Vs_California_Joshua

Clutch hitting by the bottom of the order allowed the Longhorns to overcome a one-run deficit in the ninth inning, but it was not enough to down the No. 19 UCLA Bruins, who had the final say in a 5-4 walk-off win over the Longhorns in Los Angeles.

Senior pitcher Ty Culbreth kept Texas competitive, allowing four runs and striking out seven in seven and a third innings, but the Longhorn offense could not catch up for most of the game.

The Bruins looked like they had the Longhorns on the ropes in the ninth inning. Texas entered the frame down 3-4 with the bottom half of the lineup coming to bat.

A leadoff double by freshman Kody Clemens followed by another two base hit by fellow freshman Brady Harlan tied the game at four and put Longhorns on second and third with nobody out.

That though, would be the last of the Longhorn offense. Texas mustered just two strikeouts and a groundout to end the top of the ninth with the score still tied.

UCLA designated hitter Kort Petersen then stepped up and smashed the first pitch of the bottom of inning over the right field wall to snatch victory from the Longhorns and even the series at one win apiece.

Texas will send sophomore right-hander Connor Mayes (0-1, 1.93) against freshman right-hander Kyle Molnar (0-1, 6.23) on Sunday at 2 p.m. in the rubber match of the three-game set in Los Angeles.