Longhorns split two games in Maverick Invitational

2016-02-26_Texas_vs_Tulsa_Joshua

After a washout of Friday’s games because of rain, the Longhorns split their two games in the Maverick Classic on Saturday, defeating Samford 10-8 before falling 3-2 to Arizona in eight innings.

The Texas offense showed no signs of rust after not playing since Tuesday. The Longhorns sent 12 batters to the plate in the first inning, scoring seven runs to take an early 7-4 lead over Samford. Texas struck again in the fourth inning, striking for three runs, including a solo home run by freshman outfielder Reagan Hathaway.

Samford, however, didn’t go away quietly.

The Bulldogs scored twice on bases-loaded singles in the third inning, and a two-run home run by shortstop Lexi Higgins in the top of the seventh brought them to within 10-8; however, sophomore pitcher Paige von Sprecken forced three-straight ground outs to finish off the win.

But the bats fell silent in the second game against No. 20 Arizona.

Wildcats starting pitcher Taylor McQuillin kept the Longhorns off balance, striking out six batters in the first five innings and allowing just a solo home run to senior outfielder Lindsey Stephens in the third inning.

Meanwhile, Arizona struck in the first inning after an error by freshman third baseman Christina Bardwell and a sacrifice fly, and then added solo home run off the glove of Stephens in the bottom of the third.

Texas tied the game in the top of the sixth after scored on an error by shortstop Mo Mercado. But Arizona took the win two innings later after a throwing error by senior second baseman Stephanie Ceo.

The Longhorns will travel to Hawaii to face Iowa and Hawaii in the Rainbow Wahine Classic Wednesday through Saturday.