Longhorns survive late surge by Bruins

2016-03_09_Baseball_v
Gabriel Lopez

Texas’ bats stayed hot for the second straight contest on Friday, pushing seven runs across in a 7-5 win over UCLA. Friday’s matchup marked the Longhorns’ first trip outside of their home state, beginning a three-game series with the Bruins.

Tres Barerra got Texas on the board in the top of the third. The junior catcher slapped a single up the middle, scoring two runners to put the Longhorns up 2-1. But UCLA responded with a solo shot to center field, tying the game.

The Longhorns got hot in the fourth frame, plating four runs to gain a 6-2 lead. Sophomore shortstop Brett Boswell provided the highlight of the night with a two-run homer, his first of the season.

But the Texas bullpen struggled to close out the Bruins. Freshman Chase Shugart took the mound in the ninth, and promptly walked the first batter. The right hander then proceeded to surrender two more bases before being pulled without recording an out.

The trip to Los Angeles marked the second less-than-stellar outing in Shugart’s last three appearances. He was credited with the loss in Sunday’s contest against California, in which the Bears came back from a 7-0 deficit to take down the Longhorns.

But Friday wouldn’t be a repeat of last weekend’s collapse. Freshman Nolan Kingham cleaned up Shugart’s mess, completing the ninth en route to a Texas victory.

The Longhorns will face the Bruins once again on Saturday at 4 p.m from Jackie Robinson Stadium in Los Angeles, California.