No. 4 Texas men’s golf leads by 10 shots heading into final round at Valspar Collegiate

The No. 4 Texas men’s golf team just won’t cool off.

The Longhorns finished the opening round at the Valspar Collegiate at 1-under par, but a 3-over par performance in the second round put Texas at 2-over for the tournament heading into Tuesday’s final round, still 10 shots clear of second place No. 20 LSU. Both rounds one and two were played on Monday.

Junior Gavin Hall fired rounds of 69 and 68 to take a three-shot lead at 5-under in the individual standings. Hall is gunning for the second victory of his career after tying for first with fellow teammate and junior Beau Hossler in February at the John A. Burns Intercollegiate.

Hossler posted rounds of 72 and 74 to finish the day in a tie for 16th at 4-over. Hossler has won four times this season, including three of his last four starts.

Redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk carded back-to-back 72s to finish the day in a tie for 13th with fellow teammate and sophomore Doug Ghim, who posted rounds of 71 and 73.

Sophomore Scottie Scheffler carded rounds of 71 and 77 to finish the day in a tie for 29th at 6-over. Freshman Steven Chervony, who’s competing as an individual, finished in a tie for 73rd at 16-over after posting rounds 75 and 83.

The Longhorns will go for their fourth win of the season on Tuesday.