No. 4 Texas men’s golf captures its fourth win in its last five starts at Valspar Collegiate

The red-hot Texas men’s golf team continued its torrid stretch on Tuesday. 

The Longhorns picked up their fourth win of the season in Florida, besting No. 20 LSU by five shots. The win marks Texas’ fourth in its last five tournaments after no wins in the fall. Texas benefited from strong play Monday during rounds one and two, taking a 10-shot lead into Tuesday’s final round. The Longhorns played defense in the final round, posting a respectable 1-over-par to finish at 3-over overall.

“I’m happy with the way the guys played this week,” head coach John Fields said. “It was fun to come and play at the Floridian [National Golf Club], a great golf course with a fantastic field this week.”

Texas played against one of the toughest fields it has seen all season, with nine other ranked teams in the 15-team field — four of those ranked inside the top 10 with the Longhorns. 

Sophomore Doug Ghim tied for third at 1-under, tying his career-low finish, after firing a 3-under 68 in the final round. Junior Gavin Hall entered the final round holding a three-shot lead but stumbled to a 6-over 77 to finish in a tie for eighth at 1-over with junior Beau Hossler, who also shot a 3-under 68 on Tuesday.

Sophomore Scottie Scheffler tied for 25th at 7-over. Redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk tied for 36th at 9-over. Freshman Steven Chervony competed as an individual and tied for 72nd at 22-over.

Next, the Longhorns will head to Augusta, Georgia, for the Augusta Collegiate Invitational on April 2–3 at the Forrest Hills Golf Club.