Texas men look for marks in California one week going into Texas Relays

2016-02-10_Track_Practice_StephanieTacy1108
Stephanie Tacy

The No. 7 Longhorns will take on a trio of top-16 teams at the Power Conference Cardinal & Gold Challenge in Los Angeles. The sprints and hurdles will be big events to watch, as most of the NCAA indoor qualifiers will debut their outdoor season after a week’s break.

“It’ll be a quick and easy trip,” head coach Mario Sategna said. “Now, the NCAA indoor qualifiers as well other people we’re counting on down the road will get another meet in prior to
Texas Relays.”

Junior Byron Robinson was a member of the NCAA 4×400 meter relay team that placed 4th at the indoor championships two weeks ago. He also holds the school record in the 60-yard at the Big 12
Indoor Championships.

Robinson will now debut his specialty event, the 400-meter hurdles.

“I finally get to do what I came out here to do, [and] it’s exciting,” Robinson said. “Once I get my opening out of the way, I’ll be more sharp for the Texas Relays.”

In addition, Robinson will also team up with senior Zack Bilderback and juniors Senoj-Jay Givans and AJ Bailey Jr. for the 4×100
meter relay.

“It’ll be interesting because I haven’t run a 100 since high school, but if they need me, as long as we put out a good time, I don’t care if I have to run it,” Robinson said.

Bilderback became the first Longhorn to win the indoor 400 at the NCAA Championships. This weekend he will compete in the 100, along with four teammates, and the 200, along with three.

Texas will go up against No. 3 Florida, No. 13 Ohio State and No. 16 USC in the meet.

“It felt like indoor season took a long time,” Bilderback said. “So I’m excited to see where I’m at going into next week’s Texas Relays.”