Live Blog: Texas Relays | March 31, 2016

LiveBlogTexasRelays_AmyZhang
Amy Zhang

Update (7:41 p.m.) Kendra Chambers returns home for 800m victory.

Longhorn alum Kendra Chambers, who currently holds the record for the fastest 800m run in Texas Relays history, swept the competition with a time of 2:04.92.

• — Leah Vann

Update (7:32 p.m.) Olympic Silver Medalist competes in 800m

Leo Manzano returned to his home track to run the 800m, placing 5th with a time of 1:49.92.

“I had a great start, but with 300 meters to go, I got stuck at the back,” Manzano said. “I just didn’t have it today. I gave it a good effort. It’s March, I’m not too worried.This is a great venue to come and start the year.”

• — Leah Vann

Update (6:34 p.m.) Freshman Reese Thompson takes fourth in Decathlon.

• After yesterday’s day of competition, Thompson finished strong in today’s events. He threw the discus 32.63m (107 feet), ran 14.66 in the 110-meter hurdles, vaulted 4.80m (15 feet 9 inches), threw the javelin 50.55 meters, and finished the 1500-meter run with a time of 4:47.21, taking fourth overall with 7,136 points. Harrison Williams of Stanford took first (7,842 points) with Roman Garibay of Tec de Monterrey following in second (7,446 points) and Daniel Martin of Texas A&M in third (7,154 points).
  • — Leah Vann

Update (6:30 p.m.): Freshman Blake Scott takes 2nd in Pole Vault C Division

Texas had a young team at pole vault with three freshman and one sophomore. Scott finished on top of the Texas crew with a vault of 5.31m. Since he had cleared the previous heights in fewer attempts than Brandon Bray of Texas Tech, Scott finished second. Bray finished third. Virginia Tech’s Brad Johnson finished first by clearing the final height on his first attempt. Scott’s placing brought back memories of his times in high school.

“Every time I came to Texas Relays in high school it was just the thought of being there,” Scott said, “Now I actually am competing for the team. It’s a dream come true.”
— Leah Vann

• Rachel Zein | Daily Texan Staff

Update (6 p.m.) Robinson takes a fall in 400 Hurdles

No. 2 Robinson started the race off strong, leading the pack of runners, but took a devastating fall on the last straight. Despite not making finals, Robinson will still compete in the  4 by 400 meter relay tomorrow.

“I gotta get it back because I didn’t even get to finish my race.” Robinson said.
— Leah Vann

Update (5:35 p.m.): Jones takes 1st in Prelims of 400m Hurdles
No.1 Ariel Jones took the competition by storm with a time of 56.91 second, with her closest competitor, Kiana Hawn of Baylor finishing with a time of 57.48 seconds. Jones was named Big 12 Athlete of the week and currently holds the best time in the nation at 56.55 seconds.

“It felt good, it felt controlled.” Jones said. 
Leah Vann

Update (3:45 p.m.): Sophomore Zamzow finishes 4th in Women’s Heptathlon

Zamzow started the day off strong with a personal best long jump of 5.73m (18 feet 9 3/4inches). She was the top competitor in the javelin throw with a mark of 50.65m (166 feet 2 inches). Then finished with a 2:20.86 in the 800 meters. With a total of 5,829 points after two days of competition, she finished fourth. Taliyah Brooks, Payton Stumbaugh, and Alex Gochenour represented Arkansas in the top three.

— Leah Vann

Update (3:00 p.m.): Oklahoma takes title in women’s hammer throw

• Senior Julia Reedy won the hammer throw with a mark of 62.61m (205 feet, 5 inches). Second place went to senior Jermisha Frazier of Southeastern Louisiana with senior Ashley Jenkins of Sam Houston state close behind. Freshman Lauryn Caldwell of Texas took 23rd.
  • — Leah Vann

• Gabriel Lopez | Daily Texan Staff
  •  
  • Sophomore Ashtin Zamzow leaped for a personal record of 5.73 meters in the heptathlon long jump. However, the jump was only good enough for 13th place in the event. Jessamyn Sauceda of Tec de Monterrey won the contest with a jump of 6.24m. Zamzow now sits in seventh place, while Taliyah Brooks of Arkansas still holds the overall lead.
  • — Spencer Soicher
  •  
  • Update (11:48 a.m.): Thompson falls back in standings after discus

• Gabriel Lopez | Daily Texan Staff
  •  
  • Reese Thompson finished 13th in the discus throw with a throw of 32.63 meters. Roman Garibay of Tec de Monterrey won the event with a throw 0f 44.64 meters. Thompson fell back into tenth place overall after the event. Ingmar Vos, who is unattached, has overtaken the decathlon lead with his second place finish in the discus throw.
  • — Spencer Soicher
  •  
  • Update (10:30 a.m.): Thompson gets off to fast start in 110m hurdles
  • Texas started out strong Thursday as freshman decathlete Reese Thompson won his heat and finished in third place overall in the 110-meter hurdles. Thompson’s mark of 14.66 seconds was a personal record and finished just shy of Stanford sophomore Harrison Williams’ time of 14.35 seconds. Williams is currently in first place and leads all decathletes going into the seventh event, the discus throw. With his personal record, Thompson moved up from tenth place to eighth.
  • — Spencer Soicher
  •  
  • Update (10:00 a.m.): The second day of Texas Relays will see the heptathlon and decathlon events finish up and give way to the running and field events. Field athletes will compete in the javelin throw, hammer toss and pole vault. On the track, the long distance runners will take take the spotlight with the 800-meter, 1,500-meter and 500-meter race, and the 3,000-meter and 2,000-meter steeplechase race.
  • — Jacob Martella