Texas falls to Oklahoma State, defeats Oklahoma over the weekend

No. 34 Texas lost its first home game of the season to Oklahoma State, 4-2, on Friday but finished up the weekend by defeating Oklahoma, 4-1.

“Losing the [Oklahoma State] match is disappointing, but when I look at what the six people that played in the match did,” head coach Howard Joffe said. “I see they’re squeezing every ounce of effort and ability out of themselves.”

Oklahoma State claimed the third doubles win, but the 17th-ranked Longhorn duo of senior Breaunna Addison and sophomore Dani Wagland remained strong at first doubles against 23rd-ranked Oklahoma State duo Maria Alvarez and Kelsey Laurente coming out victorious, 6-3.

Texas’ tandem made up of junior Neda Koprcina and freshman Daniella Roldan kept it close against No. 38 Viktoriya Lushkova and Carla Tur Mari, saving a match point and breaking Oklahoma State’s serve. Going to a tiebreaker after Koprcina held serve, the Cowgirls stole the win 7-2, taking the doubles point.

Addison and Wagland won the only two Texas singles. No. 12 Addison notched her 101st win over No. 33 Katarina Adamovic at first singles and Wagland beat No. 38 Vladica Babic at third singles. 

Texas, however, rebounded with a stout performance against rival Oklahoma on Sunday afternoon. 

Addison and Wagland clinched the first Longhorn doubles win over Lily Miyazaki and Emma Devine 6-1, but Oklahoma would put up a fight and win at second doubles. 

The freshman Texas team of Chelsea Crovetti and Katie Poluta came from behind after being down 2-5 and bringing the score up to a tie 5-5. Withstanding the Texas heat, the duo clinched the 7-5 win, giving Texas a 1-0 lead. 

Addison, Koprcina and Poluta all tacked on singles wins to help the Longhorns to the 4-1 win.

The Longhorns go on the road next weekend and challenge Texas Tech on Friday and Texas Christian University on Sunday.