Tat-Tuesday: Students share stories behind ink

TATTUESDAYS0908_logo_MelanieWestfall
Melanie Westfall

Editor’s note: Tat-Tuesday is a weekly series that features students around campus and their tattoos.

Photos by Carlos Garcia

Nora Tyeklar

On her right arm, linguistic anthropology graduate student Nora Tyeklar has a tattoo of a tomato in a spaceship saving the Hungarian capital of Budapest.

“There’s a lot of political turmoil in my home country of Hungary, so I wanted to say that it needs to be saved,” Tyeklar said. “I really like tomatoes, and the Hungarian word for tomato is the same word for paradise, so I thought that was a cool play on words.”

Courtney Naquin

Courtney Naquin, a geography sophomore, has a tattoo of a man and a woman together without any skin. The tattoo symbolizes Naquin’s struggles with her gender identity.

“Whenever I was a kid, I went against gender conformity, I had a boy name, and I identified more as a boy,” Naquin said, “As I grew up, I realized gender roles are dumb and that we’re all the same underneath our skin.”

Gabryella Desporte

The lyrics on Latin American studies junior Gabryella Desporte’s arm come from Joy Division’s “Love Will Tear Us Apart.”

“I’ve cried to the song and the album multiple times, so the song really resonated with me in many ways,” Desporte said.

Desporte said she often gets asked if she regrets the placement of her tattoo. 

“I do sometimes regret having the tattoo on my arm because if I want to get an office job, it could throw me off,” Desporte said. “But honestly, I still don’t regret it.”

Editor's Note: This article has been updated to remove one of the students featured in the original post.