No. 17 Texas falls to No. 45 Baylor

Despite a back-and-forth contest, the No. 17 Longhorns dropped a 4-2 decision to No. 45 Baylor in Waco on Tuesday night.

No. 86-ranked duo junior George Goldhoff and redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinsky dominated senior Felipe Rios and freshman Jimmy Bendeck in doubles play, taking the match 6-2. 

But the lead wouldn’t last. No. 68-ranked senior Michael Riechmann and sophomore Adrian Ortiz quickly fell behind to the Bears’ junior Max Tchoutakian and sophomore Tommy Podvinski and never recovered. Ortiz double faulted on match point, giving Baylor the win and evening the score 1-1. Texas hit a drop shot at the net in the remaining doubles match which was slammed down, giving the Bears the doubles point.

Riechmann quickly made up the difference with a straight-set win over Podvinski in singles play. The Bears rallied back with a straight-set win by Rios over Ortiz. Sophomore John Mee collected another Longhorn win at sixth singles, edging Tyler Stayer 7-6, 6-1 and evening the score to 2-2.

Baylor continued to sweep the top three positions as Tchoutakian defeated freshman Harrison Scott in three sets and Goldhoff and freshman Rodrigo Banzer also fell in their respective matches. Baylor took the win 4-2 with the rest of the matches being suspended.

The Longhorns are now 15–7 for the season in dual-match play and have won eight of their last 10 matches.

The Longhorns return to action Friday against Oklahoma State. Match play will at 6 p.m. at the Polo Tennis Club.