Breaunna Addison reflects on up-and-down career at Texas

2016-03-07_Womens_Tennis_vs_Michigan_Zoe
Zoe Fu

Breaunna Addison readied herself for match point.

Earlier in the match, the senior found herself down 1-0 after dropping the first set. But now, leading 5-2 in the third set and on the brink of defeating Northwestern’s Erin Larner, Addison was one point away from bringing Texas to victory.

Addison didn’t waste the opportunity. Under the Texas heat at Whitaker Courts, she quickly finished off Larner, giving Texas a 5-2 victory over the Wildcats.

But the win represented something more for Addison — 100 singles victories in her Texas career.

“I’m glad I was able to accomplish something like this, not just for me, but for UT,” Addison said.

The moment was a long-time coming for the Boca Raton, Florida, native. Her four years at Texas have been increasingly tumultuous for the women’s tennis team. Addison has played under three different head coaches in her career and has seen the team’s usual home court, Penick-Allison Tennis Center, torn down for the Dell Medical School.

But, like the March 28 match against Northwestern, Addison hasn’t let the difficult situation affect her.

“There’s been a lot of change, some good and some bad unfortunately,” Addison said. “We’ve been very good at persevering through all of it.”

Addison arrived at Texas with high expectations. She entered Austin ranked 854th in the WTA women’s singles rankings and won her division of the 2009 Orange Bowl.

She spent her first two years under the direction of then-head coach Patty Fendick-McCain. Following her freshman year, Addison won ITA Texas Region Rookie of the Year and Big 12 Conference freshman of the year, compiling a 59–18 record in singles play.

But Fendick-McCain left Texas following Addison’s sophomore year. Danielle Lund McNamara took McCain’s place but only stayed for Addison’s junior year.

Last summer, Howard Joffe — previously Texas A&M women’s head coach — took the job of coaching Addison’s final season. Under his direction, Addison has rebounded. She’s racked up 14 wins and on Feb. 10, she became the first Longhorn since 2011 to crack the top 10 in the ITA rankings.

“Bree is certainly as good as any player I’ve ever seen play college tennis,” Joffe said.

Addison said her teammates and coaches have been the motivating forces that keep her going.

“What I can do and what I can control is to go out there and do my best and try to win for my team,” Addison said. “So that’s what I do every time I step out on the court.” 

Addison is also one-half of the No. 17 doubles tandem in the nation. Addison and sophomore Dani Wagland currently hold a 24–7 record since teaming up in early 2015. Wagland said she does not know what the future will hold without Addison by her side.

“I’m just taking in all I can to learn from her, and hopefully that’ll help me in my next two years here,” Wagland said.

Addison has just over one month remaining in her Longhorn career. But even when the season ends, Addison doesn’t plan on straying too far. 

“I’m hoping to be able to stay around the team,” Addison said. “I’m thinking about assisting [the Texas women’s team] potentially. Nothing’s set in stone though.”