Big 12 Notebook: Texas Tech keeps on surging

2015-05-03_Baseball_Vs_Texas_Tech_Joshua

The Texas Tech Red Raiders torrid streak continued last weekend against then-No. 16 Oklahoma State.

The Red Raiders traveled to Stillwater having just split a two-game midweek road series against then-No. 5 Florida State and kept the momentum going with a three-game sweep of the Big 12 leaders, punctuated by a 15-5 run rule shortened drubbing on Sunday.

Sophomore infielder Michael Davis led the Texas Tech charge on Sunday with a seven RBI performance including a three-run double in the third inning. The second baseman hit .400 and tallied 11 RBI over the week en route to Big 12 Player of the Week honors.

The sweep gives Texas Tech a 10-game winning streak in conference play and 13 wins in the last 15 games.

Horton powers Horned Frog staff 
TCU freshman pitcher Dalton Horton twirled a gem in just his second career start.

The southpaw allowed just five hits and two walks over a career-high seven innings of work during TCU’s 8-0 victory at Kansas on Saturday. The freshman also extended his scoreless innings streak to 9.1 frames and pitched well enough to earn Pitcher of the Week honors.

The Horned Frogs ended up taking two out of three games against the Jayhawks to hold on to second place in the conference with a 6–3 record, one game ahead of third place Texas.

Gray wins Newcomer of the Week
West Virginia outfielder Kyle Gray only played two games over the weekend but made the most of his limited opportunities.

The freshman tallied five hits along with a pair of RBIs and hit .625 in the three-game series that saw the Mountaineers drop two out of three against visiting Furman University. Gray’s strong performance was enough to earn the freshman conference Newcomer of the Week.

Gray is currently second on the team with a .302 batting average heading into a key home matchup Tuesday against the rival Pitt Panthers.

Haley wins national honors
Sooner senior leftfielder Hunter Haley’s fantastic week prompted Collegiate Baseball News to name the senior Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week.

In four games, Haley hit at a .429 clip and slugged 1.071 thanks to three home runs. Haley capped off his week with a two-homer performance in the Sooners’ 7–6 series winning victory over Baylor on Sunday.

Haley’s strong week helped propel the Sooners up to a 4–5-conference record, putting them in a three-way tie for fifth place in the conference.