No. 17 Texas goes 1-1 in Saturday’s double-header

2016-01-24__MensTennisTourney_Stephanie
Stephanie Tacy

No. 17 Texas, now 18–7 for the season, was shut out, 4-0, by No. 9 Oklahoma and defeated Prairie View A&M, 7-0, Saturday in conference play.

At 1 p.m. Texas went head to head with Oklahoma. In doubles, sophomore John Mee and freshman Harrison Scott were quick to take a 6-3 win against Oklahoma freshman tandem Maxime Mora and Andre Biro at third doubles. However, OU won the next two matches at first and second doubles to earn them the doubles point and a 1-0 lead heading into singles.

Oklahoma pushed its lead to 2-0 behind OU junior Andrew Harris’s 6-2, 6-2 win over Scott at second singles. The Longhorns continued to fight back, but they could not seem to clinch a win. At sixth singles, sophomore John Mee was edged by Oklahoma’s Mora 6-3, 6-3. Sophomore Adrian Ortiz fought hard in a three-set tiebreaker, but No. 59 sophomore Spencer Papa from Oklahoma took home the win, 6-2, 0-6, 3-6, to clinch the win for OU. The rest of the matches were suspended.  

In the second match, Texas swept Prairie View A&M.

The Longhorns were quick to dominate the courts and won every singles and doubles match. Texas took the overall win after the first four wins, ending the match with a 7-0 win.

The Longhorns will resume play next Saturday against TCU at the Polo Tennis Club at 1 p.m.