No. 1 Texas men’s golf faces final test this weekend in Oklahoma before postseason play

No. 1 Texas men’s golf faces its final test of the regular season Saturday and Sunday at the Maxwell Intercollegiate in Ardmore, Oklahoma, before heading into postseason play.

It’s the Longhorns’ final tuneup before gunning for a fourth-consecutive conference title at the Big 12 Championship, April 29-May 1, in Trinity, Texas.

But first, Texas has a reunion with an event the Longhorns have seen success at in the past.

The Maxwell Intercollegiate debuted in 1992 and was held every year until 2008 before scheduling issues caused it to disband. Texas won The Maxwell in 1995 and 2000, with former Longhorn Jeff Fahrenbruch taking the individual title in 1995.

This weekend the tournament returns to its home at the Dornick Hills Golf and Country Club (Par 70) and will play host to 11 teams, including No. 7 Oklahoma State and No. 20 Oklahoma. Rounds one and two will be played on Saturday with the third and final round concluding Sunday.

Texas is currently following a similar pattern to last season. The Longhorns claimed one victory in the fall of the 2014-15 season before racking up six wins in the spring.

After not winning one tournament in the fall of this season, Texas has since rattled off four victories. The Longhorns have only finished outside the top-5 twice in nine tournaments this season.

The Texas starting lineup is junior Beau Hossler, sophomore Doug Ghim, redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk, junior Gavin Hall and sophomore Scottie Scheffler. Freshman Steven Chervony will make his fourth start of the season as an individual.