Texas Invitational will host nation’s top competitors

The Longhorns have had a week of rest since the Texas Relays but are preparing to host some of the nation’s top competitors again in the Texas Invitational this weekend. Out of the ten teams competing, three are in the nation’s top ten for both men and women: LSU, Arkansas and Texas.

Setting the stage for the upcoming NCAA Championships will be the men’s 4×100 meter and 4×400 relays. The 4×100 relays featuring No. 2 TCU, No. 4 Texas, No. 5 LSU, and
No. 7 Iowa.

“We need to work a little bit more on our men’s [4×100] to piece it together,” associate head coach Tonja Buford-Bailey said. “You need more opportunities to go through races like that because there are multiple people you’re counting on.”

Later in the meet, Texas will have a chance at revenge in the 4×400 meter against LSU, which edged them out of first place by 0.35 seconds at Texas Relays two weeks ago.  

On the individual level, TCU’s Ronnie Baker currently holds the top time in the 100 meter at 9.95 seconds. Lining up against him will be No. 3 Longhorn Senoj-Jay Givans with a current time of 10.08 seconds. No. 2 Byron Robinson will challenge UTSA’s No. 5 and No. 8 in the 400m hurdles, along with five other athletes from the top 20. 

On the women’s side, Longhorn senior Morolake Akinosun holds the current top time in the 100 at 11.07 seconds and will face a trio of LSU sprinters who rank in the top 15. Akinosun will also compete against No. 1 Arkansas’ Taylor Ellis-Watson in the 200 meters. 

“This is a chance for the athletes to compete at home and get events in before LSU next weekend and the relays coming up,” Bailey said. “It’s free admission, so hopefully people will meander over after the spring football game and check out the track meet.”