No. 18 Texas edged out by No. 2 TCU

2016-01_25_Mens_Tennis_Zoe
Zoe Fu

No. 18 Texas fell to No. 2 TCU Saturday afternoon, 4-2, in their final home match of the season. The match, which was originally meant to be played at the Polo Tennis Club, was relocated and pushed back an hour and a half because of inclement weather.

Prior to the match, senior Michael Riechmann was honored in his final home match for the Longhorns.

TCU won a tightly contested doubles session after defeating the Longhorns at the first and third positions. The second position match was suspended thereafter.

“We competed really, really hard,” head coach Michael Center said. “So in that regard, I’m really proud of the team and proud of the effort. I think we’re still improving, but we came out a little bit short today.”

TCU led 1-0 heading into singles play. Texas came out strong and took the first set in five of the singles matches. The Horned Frogs fought back and took the wins at No. 1 and No. 5, giving them a 3-0 lead over the Longhorns.

Texas rallied back behind redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinsky at No. 6, who edged TCU sophomore Trevor Johnson in a three-set tiebreaker, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 and sophomore Adrian Ortiz at No. 4 singles who took down TCU freshman Eduardo Nava, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4, cutting the score 3-2, TCU. However, the Horned Frogs clinched the win when in the third set of the No. 2 singles match, freshman Harrison Scott fell to TCU 20th ranked freshman Alex Rybakov, 6-4, 1-6, 5-7. No. 3 singles was suspended.

TCU won the match 4-2. Texas is now 17–9 for the season.

Texas travels to No. 10 Texas Tech next Friday to compete in their final regular season match. Match play will begin at 6 p.m.