Tat-Tuesday: Students share stories behind ink

TATTUESDAYS0908_logo_MelanieWestfall
Melanie Westfall

Editor’s note: Tat-Tuesday is a weekly series that features students around campus and their tattoos.

Photos by Juan Figueroa

Austin Dowling

Austin Dowling, a theatre and psychology senior, has a quote from “Doctor Who” tattooed on his right bicep: “Demons run when a good man goes to war.” He said the quote inspired him.

“[The quote] helped me during a dark time,” Dowling said. “The actor in ‘Doctor Who,’ Matt Smith, also inspired me as well. He was brought up out of nowhere … and was given the chance to star on an international TV show, and that’s the dream for me right now.”

Alicia Valdez

On Friday the 13th last semester, history freshman Alicia Valdez withdrew all the money in her bank account and made her way to a tattoo parlor. When she walked out, she had a rose on her left arm. 

“It was the nicest design I could get for $60,” Valdez said. “My friends and I joke around now that it’s a tribute to Selena Quintanilla.”

Lexie Muley

Chemistry freshman Lexie Muley has a tattoo of the word “infinite” on her right arm.

“When I was growing up, my dad was in the military, so we moved everywhere all the time,” Muley said. “The idea is that even though you don’t know all the people you’ve met forever, they’ve had an impact on who you are today.”

Muley opted against getting the infinity symbol tattooed because she said she thought it was too cliché.

“The [infinity] symbol is just so overdone,” Muley said. “The period at the end emphasizes the word, which is ironic, given that it ends.”