Big 12 Notebook: Tech continues hot streak

2015-05-03_Baseball_Vs_Texas_Tech_Joshua

As the Big 12 slate continues, one question has arisen throughout the conference: Can anyone stop Texas Tech? 

So far, the answer is no. 

The Red Raiders continued their scorching play in the past week, winning their past five games. Their nine-game win streak continued over the weekend, sweeping San Diego State with a run differential of plus 17.

Tech currently sits at 29–9 overall, 11–1 in Big 12 play. The Red Raiders are in the driver’s seat, but preseason favorite TCU sits close on the their heels, holding a 9–3 conference record. The Horned Frogs are a potent force in the Big 12, but as it currently stands, Tech is the team to beat. 

Skoug fuels Horned Frogs attack

• As TCU chases Tech in the race for the Big 12 title, its offense has been fueled by catcher Evan Skoug. The sophomore from Libertyville, Illinois, continued his strong season in the past week, posting a .600 batting average in a four-game span. Skoug knocked in six RBIs in a weekend sweep of Oklahoma, including a 4-4 appearance in Friday’s 11-3 takedown. 

Skoug’s prowess at the plate has been well documented this season. He’s drove in the most doubles in the conference with 16 and ranks second in RBIs with 36 in 35 games. In three games against the Longhorns this season, Skoug drove in three RBIs, hitting .444.

Cowboys cruise behind Cobb, Elliott

• Tied with Texas in the Big 12 standings is Oklahoma State. The Cowboys are currently in third place with a 7–5 conference record, but blow by the Longhorns in overall record. While Texas sits at 16–20, Oklahoma State boasts a 22–13 clip. 

Prior to last weekend’s series with Baylor, the Cowboys lost four straight, including a ten-run rout at the hands of Tech on April 10. But the weekend turned things around, with a three-game sweep highlighted by junior pitcher Trey Cobb’s performance on Saturday. 

Cobb struck out 12 Bears in a career-high eight innings, racking up 126 pitches, earning him Big 12 pitcher of the week honors for the second time this season. He has become the Cowboys workhorse in his junior season, throwing over 100 pitches four times. 

In addition to Cobb’s contributions, Oklahoma State received a boost from freshman pitcher Jensen Elliott. The right hander from Coppell earned his fourth victory of the season in the series finale against Baylor, going seven innings while allowing only one run. The Bears failed to mount any attack against Coppell, mustering just two singles on the day. 

The Cowboys currently trail Texas Tech by four games in the Big 12. And if they want to march to the top of the conference standings, their pitching staff will have to throw as they have over
the weekend.