No. 1 Texas men’s golf looks for its fourth-straight Big 12 title this weekend

The No. 1 Texas men’s golf team begins its quest for a fourth-straight Big 12 championship this weekend in Trinity, Texas, at the Whispering Pines Golf Club.

Texas won the title last year at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Oklahoma, by 24 shots over Texas Tech.

Then-freshman Scottie Scheffler took home the individual crown last year, finishing at even par for the tournament and besting teammate Gavin Hall by two shots.

The Longhorns have won six Big 12 championships to date and will host the tournament, which begins Friday with 36 holes. 18 holes will be played on both Saturday and Sunday.

Texas, who has won five times this season and has yet to finish outside the top-10 in a single tournament, has seen a dramatic turnaround this spring after a slow start in the fall. The Longhorns failed to notch a single victory in the fall.

But this spring, it’s been a different story. Texas won the Arizona Intercollegiate in January, the John A. Burns Intercollegiate in February, both the Lamkin San Diego Classic and the Valspar Collegiate in March and the Maxwell Intercollegiate just two weeks ago.

Junior Beau Hossler, who has fallen from No. 1 in the country to No. 2, has been the focal point in the Texas lineup throughout the year. Four of his five wins have come in the spring. Hossler has only finished outside the top-10 once all season.

Fellow junior Gavin Hall has also surged this spring. Hall’s lowest finish in the fall was a tie for 19th. This spring, he’s grabbed two wins and has five top-10 finishes. Sophomore Doug Ghim has quietly and steadily plugged along with seven top-15 finishes this season.

The Texas starting lineup is Hossler, Ghim, Hall, Scheffler and redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk.

The Longhorns tee off Friday at 8 a.m. in the first group with No. 7 Oklahoma State.