Longhorns move on to Big 12 Championships

2016-02-03_Womens_Tennis_vs_Incarnate_Word_Joshua

The Longhorns were drawn as the sixth seed for the Big 12 Championships this weekend in Stillwater, after finishing the season in a five-way tie for second place.

Earning a first-round bye, the team will face third-seeded Texas Tech Friday afternoon in the quarterfinals. Texas previously defeated the Lady Raiders earlier this month in Lubbock in a close 4-3 match. Texas also jumped from No. 35 to No. 25 in the ITA rankings after taking the Red Raiders and TCU down.

Regardless of their recent loss to Baylor, the Longhorns are still ranked No. 24 as of last week after sweeping wins from Iowa State and West Virginia two weeks ago.

Texas senior Breaunna Addison is at No. 10 and is now joined in the rankings by teammate Neda Koprcina at No. 121. The doubles duo of Addison and Danielle Wagland is now No. 14 in ITA rankings.

The two seniors create a daunting team at first and second singles. Both Addison and Koprcina handed all their conference opponents a loss to become the first two Texas players to go undefeated in league play since Elizabeth Begley and Lina Padegimaite in 2012.

“Naturally we are excited and hope to go as far as possible while using the tournament to prepare for the NCAA Championships,” head coach Howard Joffe said.

The Longhorns have won nine Big 12 Championships and reached the Big 12 finals 16 times, the most of any team in the league. Two of the nine championships have been during the last four years.

Last year at the Big 12 Championships, Texas also earned a first-round bye, but was taken out of play by TCU in the quarterfinals.

Joffe and his team are prepared for the challenging road ahead, expecting nothing but tough competition.

Texas will begin tournament play at 3 p.m. Friday at Greenwood Tennis Center in Stillwater.