No. 18 Texas competes in Big 12 Tennis Championship

2016-01_25_Mens_Tennis_Zoe
Zoe Fu

The Longhorns will face No. 3 seeded Oklahoma in the first round of the Big 12 tournament at 9 a.m. with a spot in the semifinal on the line.

Texas moved up one position to the No. 18 spot in the latest ITA rankings and is the sixth seed in the single-elimination conference tournament. Texas originally tied for fifth place in league play but dropped to the No. 6 seed given its loss to Baylor.

“This should be an exciting tournament this week,” head coach Michael Center said. “Whoever gets hot in this last week will win it.  We’re trying to peak and play our best tennis leading into the NCAA Championships.”

The Longhorns fell 5-2 at No. 9 Texas Tech last Friday in their last regular season match. Texas ended its season 17-10 for the season and 1-4 in Big 12 conference play.

Texas is looking for its first Big 12 men’s postseason title since 2010. The Longhorns have reached the finals in nine of the previous 19 Big 12 Championships contested.

“Honestly, this has been one of the most rewarding and satisfying seasons I’ve ever been a part of anywhere,” Center said.  “We’ve played so many younger guys, and everyone has given everything they’ve had, in terms of their commitment to the program and each other. Their attitudes have been fantastic, and it has been a lot of fun to coach this team.”

If the Longhorns complete the upset, they’ll continue to the semifinals and take on TCU on Saturday.