Senior columnist readies for more after undergraduate years end

The other day, I sought out a replacement laptop charger at Fry’s. After accomplishing the task at hand, I ate lunch at the restaurant located in the store.

It was a very nostalgic moment for me. As a little kid, my father — a bona fide computer nerd — would take me to electronics stores often, usually to bring in one of his many, ancient computers in for servicing. And, of course, we’d always eat lunch. Something about eating a club sandwich in a Fry’s conjures up memories of childhood.

As my time as an undergraduate comes to a close, I do not know what memories will similarly — years down the line — prompt the nostalgia of college. But I am fortunate enough to have a plethora from which to choose.

When it comes to The Daily Texan, I know a memory I will always cherish. When I sat on the editorial board about a year ago, we were invited to interview a prominent, new statewide office holder. It was quite exciting. But after this new office holder’s press secretary did some research, she informed us that the office holder would only sit for an interview with someone “other than Noah Horwitz.” My objectivity, needless to say, was called into question.

The planned editorial was canned.

That doesn’t happen. Not in politics, not in law, not in business and certainly not in the press. But it did, at the Texan.

The Texan values loyalty. It values it more than any other entity within the press I have ever seen. In a time when so many negatives things are said about the press, often very justifiably, I have found the Texan to be a bright oasis of integrity.

And even as my time at the Texan isn’t coming to a close, I would still be remiss if I did not acknowledge and thank the people who have made my time here so enjoyable. (As I continue onto law school at this University, I plan on and hopefully will be penning many more columns on a wealth of topics.)

Laura Wright, the editor-in-chief when I first transferred to this University, made the mistake of hiring me. Riley Brands, her successor, made the mistake of promoting me to the editorial board. And Claire Smith, his successor and the incumbent, made the mistake of retaining me. I appreciate and am deeply grateful for their errors in judgment. Most importantly, I am humbled and thankful for their loyalty.

I have found a variety of ways to spend my time other than the Texan. I wrote. I lobbied. I managed a few political campaigns (my record is 1-2, currently a higher winning percentage than the Houston Astros). It’s been fun and satisfying, challenging and sobering, all at the same time.

But the Texan is different, in a quintessential way. We look out for one another, just as we look out for every student as a watchdog for student issues and student causes. It’s been an honor to be part of this publication for the past five semesters. I’m looking forward to the next six!

Horwitz is a government senior from Houston. He is a senior columnist. Follow him on Twitter @NmHorwitz.