Texas to face Texas A&M in first round of NCAA tournament

2016-04-27_Softball_vs_Texas_Southern_Joshua

The eyes of Texas will be on Lafayette, Louisiana on Friday afternoon as the Longhorns renew an old rivalry in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Texas will face Texas A&M at 3:30 p.m. at Lamson Park in the first matchup between the programs since the Aggies left the Big 12 conference in 2012. The Aggies and Longhorns are the second- and third-seeded teams, respectively, in the Lafayette Regional. Host Louisiana-Lafayette is the No. 14 overall seed and will play fourth-seeded Boston University after the Lone Star showdown.

“I’m really excited about the draw,” head coach Connie Clark said. “It may have a little different feel than it used to, but it’s still Aggies and Longhorns. We look forward to getting our NCAA Tournament run started.”

Texas earned a 4-3 victory in the last game between these two programs, but the overall series record is tied at 20 wins a piece. The Aggies are riding a two-game losing streak entering this contest while the Longhorns won their last five, but Texas A&M holds a slight 3–4 series lead in neutral site games and a 2–4 advantage in postseason matchups.

This will be the Longhorns 12th-straight, and 17th overall, tournament appearance, and the 15th-straight of 27 for the Aggies.

Texas’ game will be aired on ESPN2. The winner of the Lafayette Regional will advance to play against the winner of the Norman Regional hosted by No. 3 Oklahoma.

“Lafayette is driving distance for both fan bases, so I’d expect a lot of fans and an exciting atmosphere,” Clark said.